equest72 Blog

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Is Skype truly the Limit?

For more than two years, I have been ignoring Skype. Now, I cannot. Recently, Skype has just released a new service: Skype SMS, in collaboration with www.mobile365.com. Driven by the inscrutable exhortation of mine, I bought the Skype Credit and Linksys CIT 200.

I tried to send SMS to my Tsel number. While although the Skype screen showed that the message is already sent (see left picture), my cell phone did not receive any (and to whom shall I complain?). But, nevertheless, when I use to call my Flexi number, it was successful (and I knew the block number used by Telkom to terminate int'l incoming VoIP)... with a surprisingly acceptable Quality of Service.

Skype boasted that the software has been downloaded for over than 200 million copies worldwide. But, even at the peak traffic, I noticed only about 7 million who online simultaneously. That would be 3.5% of the total downloaded copies.

Although the number is low, my guess is that Skype represents the "The Long Tail" of voice communications. Where low price meet scattered, sporadic and huge volume. Thus in the end, it might produce the same dollar as the mainstream of voice communication.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home